Read the June 2021 issue of Mithomahcihowin – NCN Family & Community Wellness Centre’s bi-monthly health and wellness news update.
Every Child Matters
On June 7, NCN Citizens gathered for a “Walk for the Children” event led by the FCWC Family Services and Counselling Department. They started at the store and ended at the arbour, where people brought teddy bears and shoes to remember those children who never made it home. There were prayers, drums and many tears.
On May 31, the people of Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation announced the bodies of 215 children had been found near the former Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Columbia.
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission had confirmed 51 deaths at the school, but the local Tk’emlups community believe there were more and had attempted for 20 years to find out. They finally paid for ground-penetrating radar and found their terrible discovery.
Of course, First Nations across the country say this isn’t a surprise and expect to find more of the same at many residential schools, including at the 14 in Manitoba.
Just last week, Sioux Valley Dakota Nation announced they were studying two cemeteries and a potential third at the Brandon Residential School. They hope to identify an unknown number of children and honour them through memorial or repatriation.
“Kamloops was a devastating announcement,” says FCWC CEO Felix Walker. “Often our Citizens have to deal with their own past trauma when these things come to light. I encourage anyone who is having a hard time to get in touch with our counsellors. You don’t have to carry your burden alone.”
If you need someone to talk to, call the Wellness Centre at 204-484-2341. You can also try the national Indian Residential School Crisis Line at 1-866-925-4419. It’s available 24-7.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- PERSONAL JOURNEY – Gardening Tips for Our Northern Lands
- FAMILY SUPPORT – Protect Children with Covid-19 Vaccine
- COMMUNITY HEALTH – Jordan’s Principle Summer Camp – Register Now!
- NCN Family’s COVID Ordeal
- Sports Resume in NCN
- NCNWSA Year In Review 2020-2021
- Nisichawayasihk Family and Community Wellness Centre Inc. Board of Directors Regular Meeting Review (November 26, 2020)
- Nisichawayasihk Family and Community Wellness Centre Inc. Board of Directors Regular Meeting Review (January 20, 2021)
- Nisichawayasihk Family and Community Wellness Centre Inc. Board of Directors Special Meeting Review (January 28, 2021)
- Nisichawayasihk Family and Community Wellness Centre Inc. Board of Directors Regular Meeting Review (April 29, 2021)
- Your Path to Wellness: DreamcatchersHeadstart Program
- Your Path to Wellness: Manitoba Telehealth