We Are A Lateral Violence Free Workplace!
Lateral Violence discourages or makes a person(s) feel bad in the workplace, stops people from practicing or being productive, and oppresses creativity.
People with negative behaviour may not be aware of the malice they are exhibiting.
They may not be doing these actions intentionally or be conscious of malice with the overall intention to harm, hurt, and induce fear in a co-worker.
It is negative behaviours that can be linked to harassment and bullying.
WHAT LATERAL VIOLENCE MAY LOOK LIKE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Nonverbal intimation
- Bickering, whining, blaming, and belittling
- Ignoring, excluding or freezing out people
- Withholding information or giving the wrong information purposely
- Refusing to work with someone
- Failing to respect privacy
- Breaking the confidences of others
WARNING SIGNS OF LATERAL VIOLENCE:
- Someone is being critical, judgmental, making hurtful jokes, and spreading rumours
- Avoiding or being absent from work
- Change in social habits, hygiene and activities
- Dropping work productivity
- Prone to illnesses
- Mood and personality changes
LATERAL VIOLENCE NEGATIVE EFFECTS:
- Health Complaints
- Decreased Work Productivity
- Lower Work Standardized
- Less Work Morale
- They are more likely to miss, skip or quit their job.
- Depression and Anxiety
- Increased Feelings of Sadness and Loneliness
- Changes in Sleep and Eating Patterns
- Loss of Interest in Activities they used to enjoy.
STAND STRONG AGAINST LATERAL VIOLENCE BY FOCUSING ON TEAM SYNERGY
Team Synergy is the belief that the team is better as a whole rather than each member of the team individually. It focuses on the strengths of your colleague.
- Increases New Ideas and Creativity,
- Improves Productivity, and
- Boosts Workplace Morale and Motivation.
BUILDING A POSITIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT
ELIMINATING LATERAL VIOLENCE
By presenting a positive environment through a greeting, resolving a problem, and how colleagues positively work together can a workplace be free of lateral violence. As a result, the workplaces’ environment and the character of the employees are respected. A positive environment fosters healthy team development, while a hostile work environment is associated with higher staff turnover rates, aggression, victimization, and decreased work productivity.
Tips on How to Reduce Lateral Violence
INSTILLING THESE HEALTHY HABITS:
- Learn the warning signs
- Be an advocate for your colleagues
- Report incidents to supervisor or HR team
- Recruiting other colleagues to join in making a healthy and productive workplace
By removing these behaviours from our workplace…
- Non-Verbal Innuendo
- Undermining Activities
- Derogatory Labels
- Withholding Information
- Malicious Gossip
- Failure to Respect Privacy
- Broken Confidences
- Social Exclusion
- Organizational Conflict
- Physical Violences
…We Will Create A More POSITIVE and PRODUCTIVE Work Environment!
WHAT TO DO WHEN SEEING LATERAL VIOLENCE?
- Be Encouraging in Seeking Someone to Speak To
- Give Comfort, Support, and Advice
- Encourage the Person to Report it
- Keep the Lines of Communication Open
THE IMPORTANCE OF INCIDENT REPORTING
- Reporting minor incidents and observations can lead to preventing serious incidents from occurring
- They keep us aware of workplace hazards and culture
- Uphold a positive workplace environment
If you are experiencing Lateral Violence please contact
Human Resource by phone: 204-484-2341
or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or you can submit an incident report to HR anonymously by the grey box near the common area between the Homecare office and the Human Resource office.