Read the February 2022 issue of Mithomahcihowin – NCN Family & Community Wellness Centre’s bi-monthly health and wellness news update.
Vision for a New Youth Wellbeing Strategy
As the heart of Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation’s social services and wellness programs, the Family and Community Wellness Centre can see clearly the particular issues our children and young people face.
FCWC CEO Felix Walker is working on a holistic initiative that will create strategies, opportunities and improvements to specifically serve our young people.
“This will be a framework for all decision-makers that puts the child and young person at the centre of attention. Policy, program design, delivery of services…all of that will be created using the same lens through the child’s eye,” says Walker. “It gives everyone the same understanding of what our young people need to thrive, and how we can get them there.”
The Child and Young Person Wellbeing Strategy is based on these guiding principles:
- Children and young people are our most valuable resource
- Children and young people deserve a good life
- Children and young people’s rights need to be respected and upheld
- Children and young people’s wellbeing is interwoven with family and community wellbeing
- Wellbeing needs holistic and comprehensive approaches
- Change requires action by all of us
- Early support is needed.
“The vision we’re aiming for with this strategy is that NCN is the best place in the world for children and young people to grow, develop and thrive,” says Walker. “We have the passion, the people and the ability to create this vision. I’m excited about this clear path forward.”
This strategy aims for the following outcomes:
All NCN Children and Young People:
- have what they need
- are loved, safe and nurtured
- are happy and healthy
- are learning and developing
- are accepted, respected and connected
- are involved and empowered.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- PERSONAL JOURNEY – How to Know When You’re Not OK?
- FAMILY SUPPORT – Does My Child Have FASD?
- COMMUNITY HEALTH – Sports League Looks Good for Summer
- Learning About Tuberculosis
- Try Family Mealtimes
- Chaga: An Indigenous Superfood
- Would You Recognize Human Trafficking?
- Time for Spring Planning
- Your Path to Wellness: STAR FASD Program
- Your Path to Wellness: Medical Transportation