Family & Community Wellness Centre Employment Opportunity: (1) Full-time Permanent Position Available
POSITION TITLE: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Mentor
Location: Nelson House Head Office
Under the supervision of the Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder Coordinator, the FASD Mentoring Program is a paraprofessional intervention for prenatal women struggling with addiction and ongoing follow-up services to postnatal women involved in the FASD program. The Mentor will be responsible for providing a holistic, best practices approach to preventing and reducing FASD births, through one-on-one advocacy for women at risk of drinking during pregnancy.
- Providing support such as healthy environments creating strong relationships to achieve health goals and making connections in the community with women who typically come from families where substance abuse, neglect & abuse are prevalent, lead lives characterized by poverty and where domestic violence & loss.
- Adhere to the core set of values of the mentorship program.
- Provide emotional support during the first six months of mentoring then evaluate client progress every four months intervals.
- Provide support and input in mentorship program planning.
- Attending program training as required.
- Conduct home visits with the client during the first six weeks of pregnancy and then provide follow-up with two visits per month, depending on the client’s needs.
- Created an action plan with the client based on the client’s identified strengths, needs and factors that could make a positive difference in their life..
- Provide support in facilitating newsletters and brochures.
- Strong communication skills in writing and oral.
- Teamwork is essential.
- Compassion and empathy.
- Life skills coaching.
- Knowledgeable on FASD.
- Basic counselling skills.
- The ability of necessary office skills such as record keeping and computers.
- A valid Manitoba’s driver’s license
- Valid Cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate.
- The ability to speak an aboriginal language would be an asset.
- Criminal record check and Child Abuse Registry is a requirement of all FCWC positions.
Salary: Starting at $ 36,764.00 Annually
Closing date: February 12, 2024
Submit all Applications to:
Anna Nadine Spence
Interim Director of Human Resources
Family & Community Wellness Centre Inc.
Nelson House, MB R0B 1A0